What is a social media crisis? A social media crisis is an issue that arises in or is an amplified by social media and results in negative mainstream media coverage, a change in business process or financial loss. In simpler terms, an issue that is aroused due to media and the leading toe negative impact on the society, a process of business or may cause financial loss.
What is the reason behind this social media crisis? Lack of planning and preparedness – companies present themselves in social media platforms without preparing for the threat of a future social media crisis. The best solution is following the hierarchy and needs that are far mentioned below by the authors.
Currently, social media crisis are on the rise 76 percentile but these can be avoided with proper planning and internal investment by companies. So learn these social business hierarchies of needs to land the company solidly in social media platforms.
- Enlightenment – Prepare for and sew real-time market response to business processes and business planning. Make decisions based on real-time business such as customer ratings and reviews. Use real-time customer engagement by empowering employees through a holistic model and using real-time social data & insights to make key business decisions.
- Enablement – A support and flexibility to the employees will make them prosper and reach their goals. Trust them to use their own initiatives and encourage them to stay connected and to learn from each other. For reporting purpose to give the employees templates to measure and record social media results.
- Formation – Across the whole company co-ordinate social media efforts for best results. Form Centre of Excellence to serve the whole organization in terms of education, measurement and tool deployment.
- Safety – To respond the possible crisis organize a team and process to deal with it in future. A team monitoring and responding to the social conversation around the clock will be best. Training the team to deal with internal ‘fire drills’ and create a company-wide process for responding to customers in real time.
- Foundation – For social business building a strong foundation will be a good start and defining clear business objectives for using social media. Developing policies and protecting both employees and customers in relation to social media crises. Using social media tools to provide basic training to empower employees.